Monday, July 31, 2006

Free Wine Tasting Here


Here are all the comments on my Saturday, July 29, 2006, post:
"In the South, y'all is singular; all y'all is plural."

12 Comments (so far)

Got this blurb this morning by e-mail:


"In the South, y'all is singular; all y'all is plural." Mrs. Jim says that isn't right, y'all is plural in itself and you don't have to say all y'all.
Her southernish never has y'all for singular, because all is plural.

I don't argue with Mrs. Jim about Southern things because she is from Louisiana.

Any thoughts here? If you aren't a Southerner, your opinion will be somewhat discounted.

Comments (note, Susie's was the most complete, but not necessarily correct)

Britmum said...
O.k. I am English so I guess I have no thoughts on the subject. LOLTake care xx
Sat Jul 29, 12:08:41 PM CDT

Karen said...
I think that Dallas skyline sure looks pretty!!!
Sat Jul 29, 12:19:53 PM CDT

[She didn't answer the question, did she? Again, I put the picture she guessed correctly at the bottom here]

Bossy Britches said...
lets see, i am not southern, but i have big assperations of becming a southern belle in the near futrue.and I would have to say that y'all is plural and all y'all is just plain assnine:)
Sat Jul 29, 01:25:49 PM CDT

Seeker said...
I'm not a southerner, but some of my best friends are.....p.s. They tell me "y'all" can be used as singular or plural, but "all y'all" is definitely plural.
Sat Jul 29, 01:27:52 PM CDT

Alisa said...
Hmmmm I agree with Seeker... I've been referred to as a "ya'll" by myself, so that would be indicitave of a singular usage. Had I been with someone else they might have worded it "all ya'll"
Sun Jul 30, 01:00:07 AM CDT

susie said...
Okay, a southerner born and bred will speak:


"Ya'll" is plural."

Ya'll all" is for emphasis, such as in, "Ya'll all be sure and visit her."

"All ya'll" is for urgent emphasis, such as, "All ya'll stop hitting your sister RIGHT NOW!"
Sun Jul 30, 10:13:38 PM CDT


susie said...
P.S. Did I win something?
Sun Jul 30, 10:15:06 PM CDT


Jim said...
Susie, you win my respect, whether you are right or not!..
Sun Jul 30, 10:54:07 PM CDT

Cliff Morrow said...
I'll bet someone from Nebraska shouldn't enter this conversation.
Mon Jul 31, 07:33:43 AM CDT

Jim said...
Cliff, you could voice an opinion, it might be discounted just a little. Nebraska doesn't really count to be North or South.
Mon Jul 31, 08:00:46 AM CDT


Rachel said...
I agree with Susie!
Mon Jul 31, 08:50:05 AM CDT

Jim said...
Rachel, there is only one prize...
Mon Jul 31, 09:00:46 AM CDT


Comments:
I'll bet someone from Nebraska shouldn't enter this conversation.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?