Friday, October 22, 2021

Letter "Q" -- -- Weekend Roundup

THE SEVENTEENTH LETTER FOR THIS SERIES - The Letter "Q" Prompts are: (A) Starts with the Letter "Q"; (B) "Queen" (Tom's Choice); (C) A Favorite; and (D) A Lagniappe.  

 - - - - 

[Photo from  F a c e b o o k  "cb and ham antenna group"]

(A) Starts with the Letter "Q":  A Quaint old truck belonging to a ham radio fellow, see his antenna at the back. 

Question:  Why is this old truck looking so Queer (starts with "Q")?   

Answer:  Because it is Quaint and has an antenna for mobile operation on top of the cargo roof.  
[hint, highlight the blank area to see the answer]


 
.
"Pussycat pussycat, where have you been?"
"I've been up to London to visit the Queen."
"Pussycat pussycat, what did you there?"
"I frightened a little mouse under her chair"
"MEOWW!"
Nursery Rhymes Lyrics and Origins ] 

(B) "Queen" (Tom's Choice):  Our friends from Towcester, Northampshire, England, 65 miles NNW of London came to town to visit us.  They explained that Queen Elizabeth would travel in her carriage through the streets to open Parliament for the then current session.  They would show us a quiet place on the sidewalk to see her pass by.  That was much excitement for us. 

Not very original and neither is this post.  It is a rework from one I did in 2013.  Karen was to run the Paris Marathon (she finished!) on April 15th so cheering her on was our excuse for going to London and Paris at that time.  

I wish we could go again this April but no family to visit now so that is open for discussion now.  See more of this episode, click here,  from my March 14, 2013 post, for my "Q" word Queen back then. 
 
And also you can use the Label at the bottom, "London Summer 13" for some other things we did during that trip.


(C) A Favorite:   My Quick yummy morning breakfast snack break is over.  Mrs. Jim brought my coffee, the food was part of her breakfast doggy bag which she brought home from Monday.

A breakfast croissant  with egg, ham, and cheese.  I saved the top lid piece of the croissant for dessert  and put gobs of strawberry Jam on it.


(D.1) A Lagniappe:  Q-tip is a common compound word seldom seen in the blogs, not even for the "Q" word of the week.  Guess I was pretty hard up.  Please see the "Note" below for a rundown of the name.  It must be properly protected or it will go generic.  I believe this may be the case already.  Time will tell.

So of what purpose is the lowly Q-tip?  Men use it to hand pollinate the citrus plants, apply glue or paint in hard-to-get-to places, clean the wax out of their ears (I'd rather use the rounded edge of a paper clip), use it with alcohol or nail polish remover for cleaning up tiny spots, and--what am I leaving out for the guys?

But what in the world do women do with their Q-tips?  They are the keepers, we men have to ask for one.  Mrs. Jim had this one and another in the top drawer in the bathroom.  She said she had a bag of them under the sink, but I didn't see them.

But what does she do with them?  What does she use them for?  Most ladies aren't brave or stupid enough to dare stick one in her ear.  Nor does she build model cars or work with trains.  My guess is that she uses them for tasks which men use their index finger but for which a women wouldn't dare use her finger.

Now, I am asking for the women reading this to tell me what they use the Q-tips, i.e. "cotton swabs", for.

Note: (from my Google Search) "Q-tips® 

"Q-TIPS® is a registered trademark of Unilever and is NOT a name for just any cotton swabs. The Q-TIPS® trademark can only be used to refer to the specific cotton swab products manufactured and sold by Unilever and should not be used to refer to cotton swab products of other companies or to cotton swabs generally."

This was previously posted on April 28, 2017, but none of you except for Tom has read it back then.  (entire post, click here)


(D.2) A Second Lagniappe:  Principalities I have visited in that begin with "P":   I forgot to post my country list last week.  And we did not visit any "Q" countries, there aren't many to visit.

    Panama -- Cruising on the Norwegian Sun ship through the Panama Canal (a bucket list item)   -- 

    Peru -- On our Princess Cruise around Cape Horn from Los Angeles to Buenos Aires, Brazil  

    Poland -- Several times, first a Grand Circle land tour of the former Eastern Europe countries from Frankfort Germany and around to the Passion Play in Oberammergau, Germany in 2000

   Portugal -- On a Princess Cruise to the Canary Islands

 - - - -  

Fine print stuff

 - [Click on any picture for larger, click it again for extra large]

 - I am linked with Tom of "Backwoods Travel" (Link here to click for Tom's Weekend Reviews) 

 - I am also linking again this week with James of "Weekend Reflections/Street Photos" (click here for his Street Folk and Reflections Photos).

 - The pictures mostly are all mine and rights are reserved to me under Copyright Law. 

 - Click Here for countries I've visited.
.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
HaHa! Q-tips which we call ear buds in our house....women have same use of them as men I guess but they are also good for cleaning up mascara booboo's when your eyes can't see so well anymore to make it perfect!
 
A lovely photograph of our Queen Jim. That ws a good suggestion Q tips for this meme. Have a lovely weekend.
 
...QUAINT is a wonderful "Q" word. Is Ham radio as popular today as it one was?
...I remember the nursery rhyme about the cat and the QUEEN.
...a Q-tip is a mighty versatile item.
Thanks Jim for joining the party.
 
I love the word 'quaint'. I haven't used it in years. Must bring it back into my writing. I love your 'quick' breakfast, too. Have a wonderful weekend!
 
I think Q-Tips is generic. I keep Q-Tips in my kitchen drawer (cutlery) for cleaning small corners. I also use them for crafting.
I would love a visit to London, I have a cousin just outside London I could visit. The last time we took the train to their place. We are still being careful, staying home for the winter. We may make travel plans in the spring, we wil see how things go.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?