Friday, November 19, 2021

Letter "U" -- Weekend Roundup &/or Photo Catch Unawares


.. THE TWENTYFIRST LETTER FOR THIS SERIES - The Letter "U" Prompts are: (A) Starts with the Letter "U"; (B) "Unusual" (Tom's Choice); (C) A Favorite; and (D) A Lagniappe. 

 - - - - 


(A) Starts with the Letter "U":   My "" Word this go around will be Unused with two of the letter "U's".  There are a lot of Unused items in this world which are going to waste.  

We found these two electrical kitchen machines under in a cabinet under the work area countertop.   The one on the left is a rice cooker I think and never has been used . That's because Mrs. Jim cooks her rice in a pan with a two to one ratio, two parts of water by volume for each one of rice.   Then she cooks at a slow boil until all the water is consumed by the rice.  She said she might use the cooker for a large group of guests. 

The other machine is an electric steamer.  Mrs. Jim was happy to find this one as her steaming methods are archaic.   But I won't hold my breath.  

I think they were wedding presents given us almost 49 years ago.  Why else would we have them besides their being gifts?  I will look in our wedding gift book soon.



(B) "Unusual" (Tom's Choice):   I found this unusual little fellow out in the front yard near a tree. It looks like a pig but way too small.  Then I found out it was growing so I picked it and brought it into the house as a mushroom.  Tomorrow I intend to smush it for brewing tea if it is the right kind to use for doing that. 



(C) A Favorite:   On the right is our youngest granddaughter at dress rehearsal for the seventh grade play for her junior high.   Her uniform, a.k.a. costume, is for her part, Pufferfish, her friend we think is Goldfish.  They are both listening to the  Starfish who is bragging of his importance.  


(D) A Lagniappe:  On the left is also my Favorite, my University of Houston insulated drinking glass.  I have degrees, two, from U of H and my first, an Associate of Arts in Pre-engineering, at the San Jacinto college.  The degree dates were 1967, 1970, and 1975.  

I also attended the University of Nebraska on a Regents Scholarship there in 1951-53.  It took me eleven years before I finished all this (14 academic hours transferred from my three semesters at the U of Nebraska).  Then I left the engineering field and started teaching at the college level, San Jacinto College.


(D) Street Photo (persons caught unaware):  This is me, Jim, caught unaware.  

I'd been to the mail box and was relaxing (off the street) cooling off and working the Sudoku) after a hot November day walk on the sidewalks.  Not a selfie or posed, Mrs. Jim sneaked this camera shot.

 - - - -  

Fine print stuff

 - [Click on any picture for larger, click it again for extra large]

 - I am linked with Tom of "Backwoods Travel" (Link here to click for Tom's Weekend Reviews) 

 - I am also linking again this week with James of "Weekend Reflections/Street Photos" (click here for his Street Folk and Reflections Photos).

 - The pictures mostly are all mine and rights are reserved to me under Copyright Law. 

 - Click Here for all countries I've visited.

Comments:
she did a good job taking the picture,
rice is my fav. food these days and and I cook mine the same as Ms Jim, I cook enough for the week.
have a good safe weekend
 
I have some unused appliances in the kitchen, too. Should take them to Salvation Army. Maybe someone else would use them. :) Love the pic of your granddaughter. You were probably too busy solving the crossword puzzle to notice the camera. Nice pic! Happy Weekend.
 
Thank you wife for this shot of you. Good casual one. Love the 2 girls listening intently. I would be wary of confumming that mushroom if you are not sure it is OK to eat Jim. Have a good weekend
 
Good choices. I have unused kitchen items too.
 
I cooked rice just as Mrs. Jim does. Could never understand why anyone would want a rice cooker taking up space!!
The same thing for steaming.
Her costume is perfect.
 
Nice post! You sure look comfortable in your chair. I was surprised by your comment because I've been to Paris over a dozen times and have almost always seen homeless people sleeping on sidewalks or in the metro.
 
I have made the remark in conversations how clean an well kept French territories are compared with those of U.K. Typical, Martinique vs. Barbados. Maybe we don't keep night hours where the sleeping homeless French may be.
..
 
Tom said...
...our DIL is Korean and there is always rice in the rice cooker.
...be careful with mushrooms that you are not familiar with.
...your youngest granddaughter certainly make a fashion statement.
...Jim, I'm often UNAWARE!
thanks for stopping by
..
 
I can't tell safe mushrooms from poison and naughty ones. But mine sat on the rail between the kitchen and the living room too long, it and shrank and got hard so I threw it away. I would love to drink safe Mushroom Tea, but not the intoxicating kind.
..
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?