Thursday, June 08, 2006

Another Keyboardist bites the dust -- Houston-born musician Billy Preston dies at 59

These guys die young.

Last week it was Vince Welnick (link) (my blog link) It must be a hard life. A lot of musicians I know can't get a full time job playing, they do it by getting a gig and a gig there.

We all know the names of the big stars, most of them got a break someplace along the way. The Johnny Cash movie portrayed this great's tough times.

Billy Preston was born in Houston, then he moved to Los Angeles in at age two, and was playing the keyboard at age three, and played for Mahalia Jackson at age ten. (Houston Chronicle)

He was well know and like by those he accompanied, including Rolling Stones, Aretha Franklin, Sly and the Family Stone, Bob Dylan, the Beatles, Little Richard, Eric Clapton, Luther Vandross, ending in 2006 with the Red Hot Chili Peppers . He specialized in prime blues (not R&B), gospel, and rock music.

Preston began writing music in earnest in the 1970's, having five hits in the Top 40. You probably remember Nothing From Nothing and maybe (I don't) Will It Go Round in Circles. He co-wrote You Are So Beautiful in 1975 with Joe Cocker. (Ibid
chron.com)


"Billy Preston, the exuberant keyboardist who landed dream gigs with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and enjoyed his own hit singles including ''Outta Space" and ''Nothing From Nothing,'' died Tuesday, [June 6, at age] 59." A.P. release in NY Times (
link)

It seems Billy lived a hard life, a lot of musicians do. His problems included a kidney transplant in 2002, some addicitions, and a short prison term.


Maybe Susie wants to fill his shoes. Remember, she plays her own composition for the Sermon on the Mount on her keyboard from memory, singing as she plays.

You can read a lot more at Web link:
Chron.com Houston-born musician Billy Preston dies at 59
and
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/arts/AP-Obit-Preston.html
.
STATUS CHECK: Adi is better, her old self today!

Comments:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

This is cheating! It's 12:34 in the morning!

And whatchu doing up so late?
 
You always have such interesting posts. See you read the news. I am a bad girl for not keeping on top of life today. My boys keep that at bay most of the time.

So glad that Adi is feeling better. I would love to hug her. I love dogs but I am way to freakishly house proud to have one.

Take care xx
 
Karen, I had this strange lady [can't believe I said that, but I knew it was you and you really aren't strange] from Grawn, Michigan, June 6, at 11:22:45 pm (our time, 12:22:45 Michigan time) visiting 2 pages for 2:38 minutes. Plus I knew you were working in Traverse City [haven't read your blog about it yet this morning, but I see it is there!].

My Site Meter says all that. By the way, I have opened it for the public now, just click on the Site Meter box [total number of visits display] in the lower right corner.

It also says you left this comment from the airport, [maybe, Houston domain of aemfg.com, on June 8, 2006,at 6:54:09 am, visiting 2 pages for 3:32 minutes]. Dick Cheney and his buds have authority to figure out for sure you blogged from the airport, but I don't want to bother him again today.

You may have been using WiFi from the library, the Domain was lib.mi.us. Most of the USs are government, San Jac had TX.US until we hooked onto the .edu thing.

I will have to see where you check in from today. [I know the answer to that, Karen Jr. and you should have boarded by now.]

You guys have a very good time, you deserve a little time off.

WISH I WERE THERE!!
..
 
Would you please reinstate the "anonymous" option? I sure feel better not getting tracked.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?