Friday, October 12, 2007
My Preacher Friends  made competent as ministers *
I wasn't sure anybody would think I have any of those. Well, I do. I have seven pretty good friends who are preachers.
Preacher friend facts:
1. Five of them, H**h, M**y, R**e, S**m, and D**l, I send an e-mail to every so often, more on this in a minute;
2. Two of those are my relatives, R**e and M**y;
3. All but B**y I have an e-mail address for, I could get his;
4. One, S**m, is eighty years old and teaches Sunday school regularly;
5. I see four every week, H**H, S**m, D**e, and B**y;
6. Two I have played golf with, M**y and D**l;
7. Six are retired or semi-retired, they are my age plus or minus fifteen years with two older;
8. The one still working is young enough for me to be his father (he has a very nice father so he doesn't need me);
9. One reads my blog. He has a very fine blog of his own, I haven't linked to it yet. Another reads mine if his wife particularly likes an entry;
10. One has said he could get me ordained, I haven't taken him up on that and maybe he can't do that anymore;
11. One is single (B**y), the others are married (and have been forever); and
12. They are all awfully nice fellows.
(Item 1) I send these five fellows 'religious' cartoons. These could be cartoons, with angels in the clouds (thus, the reason for my picture today, I couldn't post a copyrighted cartoon), St. Peter giving trouble at his gate, poor souls paying the Devil his eternal due where it is terribly hot, and just plain preacher cartoons and jokes.
The main reason I e-mail these is that they are missing terribly in their lives the ability to read the Houston Chronicle comics. Every now and then, a cartoon will just tell me, e-mail it to your preacher friends who are missing a masterpiece of humorous art.
Not on the list are preacher wives who blog or read my blog. Three of these readers are bloggers and are in my links. The fourth is my relative preacher wife who doesn't have her own blog yet. She would write a very nice journal. There may be others, I just don't know who they might be.
Not on the list either is our favorite cartoon preacher, Reverend Will B. Dunn of the Kudzu cartoon. (link)(link to comic archives) Kudzu was taken off a few years ago, now it is even missing from the on-line cartoons which have some leftovers from the old Houston Post.
* He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. (2 Corinthians 3:6. Link)
Monday, October 08, 2007
At the GUM Department Store in Moscow
[click picture for full screen]
[click here for supersize picture]
The GUM Department Store in Moscow is not really a store, rather it is a series of stores. It is similar to what in the U.S. we would call an UPSCALE MALL.
We visited it while on our Russian tour last October. The GUM is situated in Red Square.
Sunday, October 07, 2007
He will call upon me, and I will answer him
[click here for supersize]
14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him;
.....I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
.....I will be with him in trouble,
.....I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life will I satisfy him
.....and show him my salvation."
Psalm 91:14-16 (New International Version)
*Karen, our daughter, on the phone
..Photo taken in Dunkeld, Scotland