Saturday, January 02, 2010
It's a new year! — Six Word Saturday
THIS IS NOT A NEW YEARS RESOLUTION
I don't do resolutions anymore.
Yesterday was Mrs. Jim's birthday. As a part of my new plan to eat breakfast every day I offered to make her an omlet. My omlets are pretty good, I reeled off the ingredients: eggs; ham; cheese; onion; green pepper; salsa; and for me, mushrooms.
I was headed for the pot and pan drawer on the way to the fridge. Mrs. Jim said there was just in, via e-mail, the January Newletter from the club. The restaurant was open today with a breakfast buffet and a lunch buffet.
I had wanted to take her out to dinner but always we have disastrous results on New Year's Day finding a place to eat. Everything nice seems to be closed. She said this would kill two birds with one rock if we did the breakfast buffet. And I wouldn't have to clean up the kitchen.
[large picture] [extra large]
This was our fare: egg omlet with all that I would put in plus tomatoes, bacon, and sausage, and two kinds of cheese; a very nice fruit plate; three slices of bacon (I only eat the lean part); one sausage patty; hash browns; a biscuit and red raspberry preserves; coffee; and for dessert, a cinamin role.
For $6.95 I couldn't have cooked and paid the dishwasher for that.
I can't afford to lose 60 pounds but that is what has been claimed by eating a regular breakfast and keeping down on the fats altogether, and I already do this, but some moderate exercise.* You can Google for hundreds of other articles.**
I plan to eat cereal with skim milk and no sugar, a hard boiled egg or some ham or fish, and some fruit. Of course it has to be eaten in the morning.*** I will also eat breakfast at the club restaurant every now-and-then to reward myself on this new endeavor.
Again I would remind you,
THIS IS NOT A NEW YEARS RESOLUTION.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Describe your life (or something) in a phrase using just six words.
Six Word Saturday, Click the box --> to visit Cate's blog with Mr. Linky showing all the other blogs participating this week. Cate runs Six Word Saturday. She would like for you to participate.
* "Researchers from the National Weight Control Registry, a database of more than 3,000 people who have lost at least 60 pounds and kept it off for an average of 6 years, found that eating breakfast every day was a weight control strategy for 78% of the people in the registry. People who kept off weight long-term also reported eating a low-fat diet and exercising for an hour or more each day." Mr Breakfast, Why Eat Breakfast? (link)
** Google, why eat breakfast?
*** Google, why eat breakfast in the morning?
Friday, January 01, 2010
Happy New Year! -- Happy Birthday, Mrs. Jim!
Isn't that a good looking family, taken just on the spur of the moment. Karen came to get KP who had been here almost a week and obliged for a 'blog picture' of us. Left to right you see KP, Mrs. Jim, Adi, Katrin, and me (Jim). More new Baby KP pictures here.
That was taken yesterday, today is Mrs. Jim's birthday. Yes, she was a New Year's Day Baby. On that day her preacher, Dr. Herschel Hobbs*, came to bless her, pray for her, and help Mema** commit her to the Lord. Sounds like Samuel.
Happy New Year to everyone who reads this. I would love to know how many do but there isn't any way. I think there are as many relative, friends, and interested persons who read this as there are those who leave comments. I say there are 50 for this blog and 40 for the Photo and Poem Place (link). If I thought 100 I might want to brag so these are my numbers for 90.
NOW FOR A MONEY SAVING HINT
[large picture] [extra large] [large picture] [extra large] [large picture] [extra large]
The old 1999 calendar you have laying around can be recycled this year. It matches the one for 2010 perfectly. I save mine for just to reuse them. When I find my 1999 NAPA car calendar I will post a picture, for February I hope, of that. In the meantime this other planner 1999 calendar will do just fine. And of course my 2010 free car calendars which I aways get a few of each year.***
* Dr. Herschel Hobbs (1907-1995) was a Baptist preacher who preached in Louisiana before he came to Oklahoma to spend the most of his career. Dr. Hobbs wrote a Sunday school lesson commentary which was very useful to me. He became famous for being the author of The Baptist Faith and Message. Once when he came to Houston I was honored to shake his hand and talk briefly with him. (link)
** Mema, now deceased, Mrs. Jim's mother. (link, another of my blogs, please scroll down just a bit on this blog)
*** I collect NAPA Auto Parts calendars. I missed the very first one and then sat out a bit in the early 2000's. (link, my blog)
Thursday, December 31, 2009
Random Dozen -- Year End (2009)
- - - - - - - - - - -
I seldom do this but this one bears some utility. So I will answer selected questions and stuff the rest in at the bottom so you could see how ridiculous things like this can be.
1. Do you find it gross to share drinks with family? Friends?
Family, okay when they aren't looking. I always drink the last dregs out of the can if stuff in there is still cool and fresh.
2. What have you learned this year? (You didn't see a question of that weight coming, did you? At least not for #2.)
I learned that I spend too much time on frivolous stuff because somehow I never have enough for the really good things.
3. When do you dismantle the Christmas decorations?
I don't. Mrs. Jim does that. I do the technical things like wind up the electrical cords and extensions.
I am also in charge of the mistletoe, it stays up all winter.
4. Something you wish to accomplish before the end of 2009 is:
Done it all, I can't wait for a fresh start in 2010!
5. How do you feel about winter (after Christmas)?
I don't like the frost on the golf course because it delays play.
6. Have you participated in after-Christmas sales?
Only when something I want is on sale and that isn't very often.
7. Do you have plans for New Year's Eve?
Will spend the evening with most of Mrs. Jim's Sunday school class for the class party.
It's also Mrs. Jim's birthday on the 1st so I can have double reasons for kissing her t0night.
10. How much time per day do you spend blogging? Please do not lie. I will know.
An hour a day, mostly in the mornings and evenings. In addition I spend my extra blogging time on the Photo and Poem Place blog (link) and visiting the blogs of my readers over there.
12. Share one hope dream for 2010.
I hope that I will dream about getting lost on the way to my classes again. It was at the University of Nebraska and I missed one class until April in the dreams that I used to have. I have not had that dream for some time so I am hoping to have it again.
13. Is there anything that got to high priced for you in 2009? [large picture] [extra large]
Yes, the price of store bought ice. I won't pay more than 99¢ if I am using my own money. The prices they ask now are ridiculous!
Not for me to answer:
11. Who runs your household?
8. Is there anything special awaiting you in January?
9. If your life this year was a movie, what category or genre would it be? (Romance, Comedy, Drama, Thriller, Suspense, Farcical, etc.)
You can get questions like this every week there at Lidna's.
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Restaurant closing — MidWeek Blues — Tavern on the Green
THE TAVERN ON THE GREEN IS CLOSING
[large size] [super size]
Why would anyone want to leave Texas anyway? We have the best chicken fried steak and fried catfish in the world right here in Montgomery. Come visit and we will go to this little cafe, the Heritage House! The shrimp equals or betters that was eaten at the Tavern on the Green too.
The main thing the Tavern on the Green had going for it was its location, right in Central Park. That location will help be a factor in it's appraisal at $19,000,000!
BTW, I've only eaten there once, with Karen when she ran the 2003 NYC Marathon.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you want to post a MidWeek Blues picture, go get directions from Rebecca by clicking on the logo picture on the right. She has a Mr. Linky and good directions . Just do what I did. .
Seated above, left to right, is my BIL Jim W, sister Lois, and Mrs. Jim