Monday, January 23, 2006

Where were you?

(What is this all about?)

Thirty-three years ago . . . (from yesterday)?

A lot weren't even born! I was in law school at the University of Houston. I was also working 50 to 60 hours a week as an aerospace engineer at the Johnson Manned Space Center in Houston.

Yesterday?
I was in church from 8:15 till 10:30. I taught (?) my Sunday school class at 9:30. Mrs. Jim was there from 7:30 until 11:15. The orchestra was playing this Sunday. She also took time out to donate a pint of blood at 9:30. A lot were on the streets, rallying their forces.

What is this all about? Thirty-three years ago the Supreme Court decided Rowe vs. Wade.

I'm not political on this blog; please, if you comment today, keep your political comments short.

I love our Constitution of the United States. I support it. I have sworn to uphold it. It is a wonderful document. I believe it descended from God. (Some day I will try to retrace its heritage to the Ten Commandments, not today.)

Rowe vs. Wade?
(1) My political stand is that this situation is a women's issue and should be worked out by women.
(2) My constitutional interpretation is that the Supreme Court should never have been decided it. For 195 years, the Preamble to the Constitution had never been law. It had not figured into any Supreme Court decisions. We were taught that in law school in 1972.

Then in 1973, the Supreme Court dug into the Preamble and in general, all over the Constitution. They could not site any Section or Article or Amendment, but putting them all together found there had been hidden a right to privacy. This is the heritage of Rowe vs. Wade and you know the rest.

Had the Court not found any federal constitutional law basis for deciding this case, it would have been sent back as the federal government having no jurisdiction over the subject matter.

What then? The right to have an abortion would have to have been decided in each state, under the police power of the state, to establish and protect health, safety, and morals of each of the states's subjects.

(3) I always kept this area light in my law class. Any student would have the right to speak his or her feelings. We would then study how this right to privacy for women (and men) developed.

Sometime in this discussion I would tell this classic Aggie (link) joke about Rowe vs. Wade, right after stating that I felt the subject of abortion was not a joking matter. Academic freedom, you know.

The joke goes:
Aggie law professor: "Who can tell us about Rowe vs. Wade?"
Class: Silence.
Professor: "Well?"
After another long silence, one Aggie student: "I guess it depends upon how deep the water was."

We can't forget this matter. History is not finished on this yet. Sixty-seven years from now, probably yes, it will all be decided.

And I will be mum on my stand. Mum for this blog. In person, and when asked, (remember I think women need to resolve this issue) I am not meek at all!

Hint: Psalms 139.*


*Psalm 139:13-15 (New International Version) (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by
International Bible Society
13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

Comments:
Okay I can go mum on my own view as to whether I believe in abortion or not, but I do believe the state should decide. It should never have been a matter of the U.S. Gov; therefore, it should be overturned...and tried at the state level.
 
Did the supreme court just rule that they had no jurisdiction over health issues in states, (mercy killing)??
But they will rule in favor of trumping an individual states right to decide that they don't want babies killed in their own states. (supposedly a womans health issue)
 
Actually, the Court ruled that the administration can not make an end run around a state's decision on the issue by attacking the validity of the medical use, while ignoring that the use of medication for terminating a life in captital punishment is legal.

Can't have it both ways.
 
Jim
I loved the joke. I'll keep my comments to myself except to say knowing where you were yesterday morning I bet we are in the camp.
Ralph
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?