Saturday, July 04, 2009

Happy Fourth of July, U.S.A. Independence Day




Our 4th this year started with our Sunday service at church. It was very patriotic. Us ex-GI's even got to stand up, I stood when they played The Caisson Song.





Adi hangs out on the golf course whenever she has a chance. She likes to lay motionless on the warm grass.

Here Adi got up to pose when she heard me turn the camera on. Isn't she pretty?
(Terry asked what Adi would do on the 4th so I added this picture. Adi will have some ice cream and a hot dog too.)





The evening of the third we celebrated at home. There was a twilight fly over. These are retired pilots in the area who just can't give up flying.







Then at 9:30 (almost dark) we had a very nice fireworks display. Mrs. Jim and I went up fairly close using the golf cart to get over there. Some years we watch from out balcony at home.

.
The rest of my Fourth of July post is repeated from last year.
..
Last year we were in Tekamah, Nebraska, for Blogspot '08. There is not a Blogstock '09; this will be a memory of a very fun time.
Click here for the rest of my Blogstock '08 posts.



[large picture] [super size]

THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND
words and music by Woody Guthrie (words below) **


[large picture] [super size]

Mrs. Jim made this poster, actually two each of them, for our float in the 4th of July parade in Tekamah, Nebraska. Adi couldn't come so we at least could put her picture on the float.


[large picture] [super size]

On the way to Tekamah with our posters we stopped at the Herman Cemetery to visit Mom and Dad's grave. The mowers had left a lot of caked grass on the tombstone and on the base. We didn't have much to wash it off with but did what we could with a bottle of drinking water.



[Click on any picture for larger view]

This was part of the crew working on the Blogstock '08 float. On the left is Mrs. Jim being supervised by Mrs. Morrow, next Cliff Morrow, Rachel of Sliding through Life, and Mrs. Morrow's mother.

Jim likes to hang out with people who like to eat. Here is a part the Jim Bunch but more so, the Cliff Bunch this time, having our salad before eating. From the left, Jim, Mrs. Jim, Terry , News Editor of the Midwest Producer, Jerry of Back Home Again, and Cliff of Cliff Morrow's Blog.

The meal was completed with Karaoke singing. Here Terry and Cliff are belting out a tear jerker Country and Western song.

THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND
words and music by Woody Guthrie

Chorus:
This land is your land, this land is my land
From California, to the New York Island
From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters
This land was made for you and me

As I was walking a ribbon of highway
I saw above me an endless skyway
I saw below me a golden valley
This land was made for you and me

Chorus

I've roamed and rambled and I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
And all around me a voice was sounding
This land was made for you and me

Chorus

The sun comes shining as I was strolling
The wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling
The fog was lifting a voice come chanting
This land was made for you and me

Chorus

As I was walkin' - I saw a sign there
And that sign said - no tress passin'
But on the other side .... it didn't say nothin!
Now that side was made for you and me!

Chorus

In the squares of the city - In the shadow of the steeple
Near the relief office - I see my people
And some are grumblin' and some are wonderin'
If this land's still made for you and me.

Chorus (2x)

©1956 (renewed 1984), 1958 (renewed 1986) and 1970 TRO-Ludlow Music, Inc. (
BMI)
(from
The Lyrics Connection

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
first to comment...i am not much for holidays...67 and have run out of 3905735647520184....and )&I)^(&##&%)&))*_%^E$....nond of it IT left...do you have any of it left????????
 
Not much, Putz. My age is from 75 to 107 depending on where you look or who you ask.
Well, some of the ladies judge me younger, I just seem young. Men too. Part of that is because I hang out with younger people, always have. And I act younger.
..
 
Jim, the concert/fireworks in the Woodlands was great. We sat up on the hill and actually had a nice breeze... I just love the 1812 Overture, complete with cannons. They played the service themes and TF stood up when they played the music for the Army..... Another big day tomorrow...Happy 4th to all of you.
 
dear mr. jim
i just had to come and see you as it it the fourth of july and i wanted to see what that adi is up to.
hope she won't be too tired to do a little celebrating and being a real patriotic american and i hope she takes over a few of your chores because you know that you still have to be doing some recuperating from your hospital doings..
happy fourth mr. jim and mrs jim and adi and katrin and the rest of the family.
God bless america!....love terry
 
Thanks, Terry, I will add a picture of what Adi did on the Third. She may do the same on the Fourth.
Of course she has to have ice cream and a hot dog, that is U.S.A.
..
 
Lucy, I didn't know TF was in the Army. He picked a good branch.
I knew the Symphony would be good.
..
 
Happy 4th July Jim, hope you all have a good day. Our dogs like to lie out on the grass too, they just lie there watching the world go by. Bob.
 
Happy Independence Day, Jim and Mrs. Jim and Adi Jim.
 
Happy Independence Day!!!!
Sounds you've started off with a bang. I'm sure the church service was inspiring, and there's probably more fireworks to come tonight.
Adi looks very comfy lounging on the warm lawn. It is a lovely place to relax.
Blogstock was a thrill. What fun it was!! I'm so happy to have been able to go.
It is wonderful that you visited the grave of your parents. I'm sure many memories come up whenever you go there.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend!!
 
Happy 4th Jim!! Adi looks so cute laying in the grass on that pretty golf course.

I have been remembering Blogstock this year too!! Such fun!!
 
oh mr. jim...this was such an exciting post!
i did click on the picture of the choir and i don't think i should of because my heart was so touched by all those american singers holding those beautiful flags that i cried..
i am glad you kept your promise to adi and gave her a hot dog and an icecream.
adi is my most favourite dog in the whole wide world mr. jim and bernie loves her too.
hey mr. jim...how come you are not a follower of my blog?
if you and adi had a followers list, i would follow YOU!
hint hint...now you just put yourself there , all right?
love terry
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?