Friday, April 08, 2011

Flashback Friday # 27 ~ Poetry in Jim's Life

.. April is National Poetry Month
.
Appropriately, the Flashback Friday theme for this week:
What memories do you have of poetry's place in your life growing up? And in your later years?
That was the big question Linda poised for us this week (to see others or if you want to join in with fun of writing up your experiences, please click on the icon to the right). I like poetry so here goes:
Her questions: What poems do you remember from your childhood? Did you have to memorize many poems for school when you were growing up? Did you learn any just for fun? Do you remember which ones they were--and can you still recite them? Did you have a poetry book that you liked to read? Do you enjoy poetry today? Do you prefer rhyming poetry or free verse? Whimsical poetry or epic poems that tell a story? Do you have a favorite poem or poet? Have you ever written any poems?
Most of the early poems that I remember are nursery rhymes. I still can recite them fairly well. I am thinking though, that the present generations have not learned these very well. This is something that we as parents and grandparents can change.

'Jack and Jill' and the 'Cow Jumped Over the Moon' were my favorites. I still like them as well as Jack Sprat, Humpty Dumpty and Mother Hubbard and the others. I memorized every one of those that I would read.

When I was in the eighth grade, it could have been earlier, I had to memorize a poem of my own choosing. I picked Abou Ben Adhem by James Henry Leigh Hunt as my project. I can remember it fairly well yet today.

That year for Christmas I was given by Santa a gray covered thin paper back book of poetry. Abou Ben Adhem was in it. I still have that book someplace. It will be on my bookshelf when I finish reorganizing my office.


Abou Ben Adhem

.
Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
An angel writing in a book of gold:—
Exceeding peace had made Ben Adhem bold,
And to the Presence in the room he said
"What writest thou?"—The vision raised its head,
And with a look made of all sweet accord,
Answered "The names of those who love the Lord."
"And is mine one?" said Abou. "Nay, not so,"
Replied the angel. Abou spoke more low,
But cheerly still, and said "I pray thee, then,
Write me as one that loves his fellow men."
.
The angel wrote, and vanished. The next night
It came again with a great wakening light,
And showed the names whom love of God had blessed,
And lo! Ben Adhem's name led all the rest
.

from PoemHunter.com (link)
I like both the whimsical and the epic poems. I wrote a few poems in grade school and then again in college. I think none of those are saved. I am writing a few poems again now, thanks to blogging.
Most every Sunday I post a poem that I have written for a group called One Single Impression (OSI). They are all 171 posted here: Jim's Little Photo and Poem Place (blog). (A few are also on this Jim's Little Blog but not many.)
There I try to infuse a little of the small wit that I have into some of those poems. Some are rhyming as I find this a challenge. There are also haiku, senryū, tanka, acrostics, and a few others that I am learning.
I suppose most of them really aren't very good but the others who write for OSI are nice and forgiving of me and offer a lot of encouragement. I would be pleased for you to take a peek at Jim's Little Photo and Poem Place .

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I'm still using the Old Blogger to do my posts. I have so many that I am afraid they won't all get updated if I change over.

Now Old Blogger has a problem:
"We've reproduced an issue which is affecting paragraph spacing when composing from the Old Post Editor on IE. We're working to sort out the underlying issue, but in the meantime we recommend updating to the New Editor from the Settings | Basic tab.

Thanks for your patience. — latest update on Wednesday, April 06, 2011
"
..
 
Patience is not too much to ask with Abou Ben Adhem's poem as an example.
 
I'm using the old blogger to do my posts too. I don't like the new one when it comes to pictures. Can't put them where I want.

I have a tough time with poems. When I took literature in college my professor said it was because I was too logical. Whatever that means.

Have a terrific day. :)
 
I read a lot of the old nursery rhymes to Hope
she enjoys them

I have caught up on the last few posts
Happy UK Mom Day to Karen
and hugs to KP

Happy new bed to Katrin, she looks comfy

and those eagles!! they just plain make me smile
they're on the news here almost every day
 
I loved reading this and enjoyed perusing your poetry blog. Fun stuff!
 
I remember having to memorize Shakespeare and Poe. Oh, I hated it!
 
Enjoyed looking at your poem blog.

I see your note about the Old Blogger....I had been wondering what the problem was with the spacing this week. I didn't know there was a new blogger! I'll have to check that out!
 
I don't suppose it will come as a great surprise to you to hear that i am a fan o9f whimsical poetry. I quite like Abou Ben Adhem because it is fun and has a message. Thank you for sharing it!
 
Why would we want to push nursery rhymes onto the next generation? They are senseless. They do nothing to help us to love our fellow man. Nor do they teach us to contribute responsibly to society.

I think they are a waste of time. We should pass on instructive proverbs to our children.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?