Friday, July 24, 2020

The Letter "D" -- Weekend Roundup and Reflections

The twenty-ninth issue of Weekend Roundup for this year, 2020...
(THE FOURTH LETTER FOR THIS SERIES)
- the Letter D" Prompts are:
(A) Starts with the Letter "D";
(B) A Couple (Tom's Choice);
(C) A Favorite; and
(D) Reflections.
_ _ _ _


(A) Starts with the Letter "D":   "Die Afrikannse Taalmonumt" is The Afrikaans Language Monument dedicated to the acceptance of "Afrikaan as the official language of South Africa.  We visited the monument on a hill not too far away. (

Wikipedia Link)

For us the sign, one of the lines, directed us on the "Road to Our Winery Picnic and Tasting."  And the monument is pretty and large.


Look like good South African fun outing?  Each couple had a basket full of good food.   We were a ways northwest out of Cape Town.

(B) Dark (Tom's Choice):  I am afraid of the Dark and what can't be seen in the Dark

One thing I am not afraid of is the International Date LineAt the right is a picture of it from our plane, out the window.  Unfortunately, it was Dark outside. 
 ..
We were over the ___ Sea flying from Australia to our home near Houston, Texas.



 
(C) A Favorite:  This is the Outhouse on our farm.  Unfortunately a tree fell on it and then it became unusable.  Fortunately for indoor plumbing coming in 1938 along with electricity. 

Fortunately also was that my little sister would walk with me before bedtime, in the Dark.  That she only did if I let her carry the flashlight.


 
(D) Reflections:   We were at the "Old Town" in South Dubai looking across the water to the city North.
 _ _ _ _  

The fine print:
 - [Click on any picture for larger, click it again for extra large]
- I am linked with Tom of "Backwoods Travel" (Link here to click for Tom's Weekend Reviews)
- I am also linked this week with James of "Weekend Reflections" (click here for his Reflections Photos).
- The pictures mostly are all mine and rights are reserved to me under Copyright Law.
.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,


Comments:
Man you have been everywhere.
Look like good South African fun outing? I don't know, but it looked fun to me.
I will go with dark chocolate for my D. lol
 
Who could figure the confusing Afrikaan language? Not I, the dubbed English subtitles a help in navigating :) Hospitality rules in any place, a ice box lunch is a nice touch. Oddly, the skyline of Dubai looks as if could be any North American city...
 
Looks like a really nice picnic in Africa! A place I've never been, but always thought I'd enjoy an African Safari. That certainly will not be anytime soon. COVID has cancelled so many of our plans this spring and summer, so sad. Have a great week, Jim.
Dawn
 
I am sorry to hear of the death of your wife's sister from Covid. Please stay safe. That looked like a fun picnic in Africa. Have a lovely week ahead.Africa.
 
I was also sorry to hear about Mrs. Jim's sister's death from Covid.
My condolences to all your family and please stay safe.

 
...my word check DIDN'T respond well to DIE Afrikannse Taalmonumt!I that's the International DATE Line in the DARK, I'll take your word for it! Sounds like 1938 was a good year for your family. Thanks Jim for stopping by, take care!
 
This is a wonderful post. Love the picnic photo—scenic!
 
You're about my only visit on Saturdays. I don't blog on the weekends, but I always know you'll have a post for me to read on Saturday. You have been everywhere. Some love to travel the world and others are content to stay close to home.

Have a fabulous day and weekend, Jim. 😎
 
Great pics Jim! You sure get around. :-)

 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?