Friday, May 08, 2020
The Letter "S" ~~ Weekend Roundup and Reflections
The nineteenth issue of Weekend Roundup for this year, 2020...
(THE NINETEENTH LETTER FOR THIS SERIES)
- the Letter "S" Prompts are:
(A) Starts with the Letter "S";
(B) "Straight" (Tom's choice);
(C) A Favorite; and
_ _ _ _
[Click twice to read my Snoopy Cartoon - Note dresser top Reflections]
(A) Starts with the Letter "S": "Starting Line" starts with "S". These small toy cars that I keep on my dresser are ready to Start their race.
After three semesters at the University of Nebraska I dropped out and got a job at the Elgin Watch Factory in Lincoln, Nebraska. One of our quality control inspectors, Bill Robinson, drove a race car on our dirt car track out at edge of town. I was invited to join his racing crew.
Street Rod (read below)
(C) A Favorite: Our race car, Number 88, was a pretty blue 1934 Ford Coupe. It was "Modified Stock, " which meant hopped up but it had to look "Stock". Once in a while I got to drive. It was very fast but would never win the "A Feature Race" so we held it back in the Heat Races so we could run in the "B Feature Race" in which we would most always win.
We quit racing the car when our sponsor would not finance a new engine as we had thrown a piston through the cylinder wall. We sleeved the cylinder and Bill used it in a pristine 1940 Ford Coupe street car. We did get another sponsor to finance a 1937 Chevy for us.
The toy 1934 Ford above is 1:25 scale and is sold at
F i r s t G e a r C o. for $49.99.
For more go here.
(B) "Straight" (Tom's choice): "Straight from the Horses Mouth", the Bible verse on this May calendar I dug out yesterday. It echoed our last Sunday's sermon on "The Good Shepherd" from John 10.
At verse 11 it says "The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." Our minister told us (via the streaming video in the living room) that in the fields where the shelters are very primitive and the Shepherd sleeps laying in the doorway so he knows when someone or someone tries to enter or leave.
Hearing that from both the calendar and the preacher tells me there is a message there that I should heed. This Mother's Day weekend's message will be given by a lady at online, Saturday at 6PM or Sunday at 9:30 or 11:00AM Central Daylight Time.
The calendar picture is at "Shepherds' Field outside Bethlehem, Israel." (googled link for more pictures). The trees are olive trees, some are very old. The calendar is from "Open Windows".
(D) Reflections: Another walk picture Reflection. We are starting these neighborhood walks now earlier in the morning or after the sun goes down. Temps are getting in to the nineties F.
(E) Lagnappe for you. On my "Christmas Tree Farm" blog I have two links posted for Corona Virus 19, one for international countries and one for the states' statistical numbers. Our Texas numbers are increasing faster and faster but we are open. Go figure.
The blog link:
State by State: (click or paste from below)
My Two Questions (you can answer just one if you wish):
(1) What comes to mind when you think of "Straight"? I think of a large Straight edge drafting ruler that I have tucked away someplace.
(2) What is an exciting thing you have done lately or some other time in your life? Loosing my wallet in Egypt. I walked through the shipyard to where our bus stopped and found it in the seat I had been sitting in. A police car stopped me and the officers questioned me, then they took me back to our ship.
(1) What is your favorite "S" word? This time it will be "Sailor" When I was young I always wanted to be a Sailor. Towards the end a work life I dreamed of living on a Tug Boat and working it for several more years. In the dream my sister would buy in and also her and SIL would live there too. Now I know a Tug Boat Captain, she is one of the few lady tug boat drivers and is one of my Facebook friends. One of our two Sunday School teacher's father was a tug boat and he sometimes relates to incidents of that life during his lesson.
(2) Do you have any posted Reflection pictures of areas where you use for taking walks? I have pictures of ours posted here Quite Often. We have pretty places to walk.
_ _ _ _
The fine print:
- [Click on any picture for larger, click it again for extra large]
- I am linked with Tom of "Backwoods Travel" (Link to Tom's Weekend Reviews)
- The pictures are all mine and rights are reserved to me under Copyright Law.
- I am also linked this week with James, (click here for his Reflections Photos).