Sunday, May 14, 2006

There is a time for everything

Ecclesiastes 3
[NIV (link)]

(A Time for Everything)

1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,

a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,

a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,

a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,

a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,

a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,

a time for war and a time for peace.

.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
.

I had heard and read these Bible verses many times with many applications. There is a song which had been popular reciting these verses. It is still being sung on the radio.

But they hit home Thursday when the minister at a funeral read them.

He was reading for the celebration of life and remembrances of a young man, age 46. This man had lived a very productive life, he held a high position in his work, was married with a very vibrant and loving family, and was active in his church and music. Incidentally, that church, a large one, the Terrace United Methodist Church in Houston, was packed for his funeral.

The reading affected me like the words never did before because this young man's parents are our friends. Our children are this age. But no matter how well (or poorly for that matter) we lead our lives, God has a purpose in our deaths as well as our lives.

This man's testimony about his love for the Lord was so strong at that funeral. We don't know how many lives were changed by his death, and the relating of his Godly life at his funeral. Even though his family and all of us are grieving for the loss of him, it all surely was a part of God's glorious plan.

The minister went on to read from the Gospel of John:

John 14 (link)
(Jesus Comforts His Disciples)

1."Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. 2. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4. You know the way to the place where I am going."
5. Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
6. Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."





Comments:
That is so sad Jim. Sorry about everyones loss and the kind words.
 
Jim I am so sorry for your loss. I have come to realise that frienxxds are indeed like family and often more so.

Take care xx
 
Great post Jim. Sad he had to die but, like you said, it was part of God's plan.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?