Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Guess what is Jim doing? Hint: he is at a famous castle

Posted by Picasa
These people are waiting in line to do it too!




Posted by Picasa
To find out what is going on, high-lite (with your mouse, hold the right button and drag across) the open space between here and
He is between Kilarney and Cork, Ireland, at the Blarney castle. You know what he is doing there, he is kissing the Blarney Stone. This endeavor is kissing the stone endows the kisser with the gift of gab (great eloquence or skill at flattery)[Wikipedia link] [Sacred Sites link].
I think this is all Blarney.
here.



Posted by Picasa
Mrs. Jim will go up there too. But she didn't want to kiss the stone.



Posted by Picasa
This is the murder hole. French castles have them too. Read the sign from the picture below.




Posted by Picasa
'Nuff said. In case you want to practice up on the Irish language, read the top part.



Posted by Picasa
That opening at the top is where the Blarney stone is at. Someone is scrunched down there right now kissing the stone.


Posted by Picasa



Posted by Picasa
This is the current castle owner's home. We were allowed a tour of the 'mansion' but no picture taking was allowed. The home looks like a castle, but is not. Just a very fine home.



Posted by Picasa
View of the mansion, grounds, and surrounding countryside as seen from atop the castle.



Posted by Picasa
The grounds were very well kept and landscaped. I particularly liked the pretty spring flowers.

Posted by Picasa
One last view. The round structure is what is left of one of the look-out towers.
.
.

Notes: [from Ireland Information 07 (link for this and more)]
.
History of the Castle
Blarney Castle was originally a timber hunting lodge built in the 10th century, which was replaced by a stone castle in 1210. The present day construction was completed by Dermot McCarthy, King of Munster in 1446. The Castle remained the ancestral stronghold of the McCarthy family until the arrival of Oliver Cromwell with cannon guns in 1646. Fifteen years later with the arrival of King Charles II on the English throne saw the return of the McCarthys to the Castle.Following the Battle of the Boyne in 1690, all Irish chiefs were stripped of their powers and the McCarthys were again forced to leave Blarney Castle. The Castle was sold to Sir James Jefferyes, Governor of Cork in 1703. The Castle is now owned and managed by the Trustees of the Blarney Castle Estate.
.
Kissing the Blarney stone
The world famous Blarney Stone is situated high up in the battlements of the castle. Follow one of the several long, stone spiral staircases up to the top and enjoy the spectacular views of the lush green Irish countryside, Blarney House and The Village of Blarney.The stone is believed to be half of the Stone of Scone which originally belonged to Scotland. Scottish Kings were crowned over the stone, because it was believed to have special powers.The stone was given to Cormac McCarthy by Robert the Bruce in 1314 in return for his support in the Battle of Bannockburn.Queen Elizabeth I wanted Irish chiefs to agree to occupy their own lands under title from her. Cormac Teige McCarthy, the Lord of Blarney, handled every Royal request with subtle diplomacy, promising loyalty to the Queen without "giving in". Elizabeth proclaimed that McCarthy was giving her "a lot of Blarney", thus giving rise to the legend.You too can acquire the gift of eloquence by kissing the stone!
.
Blarney House and Gardens
Blarney House is situated 200m South of Blarney Castle and was completed in 1874. The house is open to the public during the Summer months only. It has been completely restored over the past few years. The house is surrounded by extensive lawns, shrubs, trees, and flower beds. These slope gently towards the lake.


Labels: , , , , ,


Comments:
I don't know i would kiss that thing but the murder hole was pretty cool.
 
8 Comments - Show Original Post
Collapse comments


Rachel said...
Well, I'll check back. I can't see the pictures, only little red x's.

Mon Jun 25, 11:02:00 PM CDT


Jim said...
I see the pictures, maybe it takes too long for them to come in.

How are other people doing?
..

Mon Jun 25, 11:14:00 PM CDT


ray said...
I see the pictures. Boy, you live an interesting life.

Tue Jun 26, 03:11:00 AM CDT


Terry said...
Oh No!!
NOW Jim is the king of the castle and we're the dirty rascals!!
Alas!!!......from Terry

Tue Jun 26, 05:15:00 AM CDT


Margaret said...
I was unable to view the pictures. I have been to Blarney Castle also. I loved touring ireland altogether.
Cheers Margaret

Tue Jun 26, 07:23:00 AM CDT


Britmum said...
I can't see any pictures Jim.

How are you now?

I hope you are well.

Hugs xx

Tue Jun 26, 09:46:00 AM CDT


Rachel said...
Oh goody, I'm not the only one who can't see the pictures!!

Last night I went to a Women's Club meeting and saw pictures of Ireland. One of the ladies just got back from visiting her brother there. It's such a lovely place and they really enjoyed their trip!

Tue Jun 26, 10:52:00 AM CDT


Jim said ...
I dont' have any pictures right now either. I will fix it "tonight."
..

Tue Jun 26, 04:48:00 PM CDT
 
Hi JIm, I can see all the pictures I love the garden. I wouldnt like the heating bills for the castle/home. . Noway would I queue and bend over backwards to kiss any stone. ouch my back..
 
Hi Jim.
The pictures and grounds surrounding the castle are beautiful.
Nice blog, now I know where you get all your "Blarny " from.wpkqvug
 
I can see clearly now... the rain is gone....

Oh!! Yes, very nice Jim. I can see the pictures now!! I am like Mrs. Jim. I would not want to kiss the blarney stone. I would have to be thinking of all those others who have also kissed it. So now you have the gift of eloquence???

I would love to visit Ireland someday. I love that 'nice home!!' Looks like a castle to me!!
 
Jim- Now tell me...You MUST have kissed that Blarney Stone many times. Because you already have the gift :O)!

Boy the adventures you see and do!
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?