Thursday, November 08, 2007
It's Ok -- the New Cell Phone Etiquette in eating places
I do it too! So I thought I had better introduce you to the new rules of etiquette for using cell phones in restaurants. It used to be
illegal in poor taste you know.
However, necessity and convenience breed change. Just accept it, change comes.
There does need to be some semblance of order in this matter, therefore I have developed the following New Revised Rules of Cell Phone Usage Etiquette in Restaurants. I do believe a few generalizations would make these rules applicable for cell phone use in most any public places.
NEW REVISED RULES OF CELL PHONE USAGE ETIQUETTE IN RESTAURANTS
1. Lay the phone on the table as soon as you sit down. This prevents so much annoyance to other patrons. Generally you can catch it on the first ring that way instead of fumbling through your pockets or purse to find the machine.
2. Talk no louder than you need. It is the loud cell phone talk that bothers other people. Besides loud talking disturbs others who are trying to use their cell phones.
3. Keep your conversation short.
4. Laugh quietly, not out loud! (LOL)
5. For an extended conversation or for more privacy go outside or to an unoccupied area.
6. Do not make unnecessary calls. A quick check on the kids, grandma, or your dog, and the like, is probably necessary now and then.
7. It is better to call while sitting in the restaurant than driving your car. This goes especially for text messaging (unless you have memorized the key placement and routine--like you did in touch typing).
(c. jimmiehov 2007)
NOTES AND LINKS:
1. This blog has been in the planning for quite some time (note the pictures are dated 1/20/2007, the day after my mother-in-law's funeral [link]).
2. Ken Hoffman probably will not like these rules, you may agree after reading his column in this Tuesday's paper (Houston Chronicle, link). BTW, his column did push my 'hurry and post button.'
3. Mrs. Jim reminded me today of her rule # 107, never wash dish towels and cloths with bath towels and socks. That is NOT a good rule for bachelors or men who do their own washing.
4. Any suggested changes or comments on the new revised rules will
not be appreciated. Perhaps you could suggest some pleasing ringtones or the like.
Cell Phone Cell Phone Etiquette Ringtone Ringtones technology Culture Humor Life Eminem IT'S OK
IT'S OK LYRICS
[from Sing365.com (link)]
Artist: Eminem f/ Eye-Kyu
I always put mine on vibrate and then lay it on the table. The vibrate is easily heard by those at your table but not anyone else.
Also, I don't understand Mrs Jim's laundry rule. Wouldn't that require sorting of the laundry. I suppose she doesn't even want dirty underwear with her dishtowels.
Cell phones still bother me unless it's me or Mrs. Jim.
Paste this link,
NOTE: Highlight from "http" on through the ".." before you copy and paste.
After you paste the whole thing in, then delete the ".." and enter.
I remember when Scrag got his first cell/mobile phone in England. I was so embarrassed to be near him, it was the size of a brick. lol Now I cringe when I see people just walking talking to themselves. They look insane.
We got another pathfinder. It is a Storm Gray colour. I love it... and it has satellite radio. woo hoo.
Mattmew is doing great. Had a couple of dodgy days but he is on the mend no. Thanks for checking on him Jim.
I am working on a post. lol
Hugs and take care xx
I have just updated my cell all I want to do is make calls and recieve calls,but of course it has all the gadgets I dont need.
My Daughter Janine sent me a text
with music when I try to show it to a friend I manage to ring my daughter.L.O.L
Great photos hope all is well with you and yours.
P.S. Say Hi to mrs Jim
It is so irritiating.
I'm glad the rules addressed that.
Unless you're waiting to be notified that your transplant organ has arrived, TURN IT OFF!!
Links to this post: