Friday, December 28, 2007

Day Seven in Guatemala -- # 7 of 8, Part One of Two

I'll be out today. Going Bowling. No, not with pins. My alma mater, The University of Houston, has their final game this year, the Texas Bowl. So Mrs. Jim, Karen, Billy (U/H is one of his schools also), BP, and I will get there in plenty of time for the Cougar pregame activities. Thought then, "this would be a good time to post 'Day Seven in Guatemala.'" I have been working on this for some time, so hang on. It will be long. So long that I decided to have it in two parts, the first today. A group from our church spent six days in Huehuetenango, Guatemala. Mrs. Jim and I both were working there at a state orphanage. This was a work trip arranged by Buckner International. The seventh day, posted here in Part One, and soon in Part Two, were spent sightseeing. Day Seven in Guatemala -- # 7 of 8: On the road again! After six days of work

Posted by Picasa

We left our hotel early, luggage was out at 6:00 a.m. for the luggage van. Our work was finised for this year, today we would be tourists. Click on the picture. You will see that valley is full of houses. Not many crops could be grown down there.

>>>>>>>> A potty and snack stop at the Shell station
Posted by Picasa
Clean too (link)
>>>>>>>> Wild flowers and corn
Posted by Picasa
>>>>>>>>> Taxi, anyone?
We had to work hard to get around these fellows. Then we all came to a stop. They use these pickups to get into the villages not large enough or without good enough roads for the busses. About twenty-four people can ride, all standing up.
Posted by Picasa
>>>>>>>>>>> Our destination for the afternoon, Lake Atitlán
Posted by Picasa
>>>>>>>> These little taxis were running all around in Guatemala
Posted by Picasa
>>>>>>>> We would boat around Lake Atitlan
You can see our boat a little later, it was smaller one. In fact it took two to carry our party. (link for Lake Atitlan information article)(link with lots of pictures)
Posted by Picasa
>>>>>>> The southeastern shore
Posted by Picasa
>>>>>>>>> We would stop at this village for about an hour
Posted by Picasa
>>>>>>>> This little town did a lot of weaving
Posted by Picasa
>>>>>>>>> That IS a dog on the roof
Posted by Picasa
>>>>>>>> There were twelve villages around the lake, we stopped here
We stopped at this village, one of twelve surounding Lake Atitlán, each named for one of Jesus' appostles. I forgot the name of this one.
Posted by Picasa
>>>>>>>> Our interpreter, Jessica
Posted by Picasa

She was enjoying the ride. Jessica had been with us all week. None of us spoke Spanish fluently.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Lake Atitlán is a special kind of beautiful isn't it? I tried to translate the story of the Ewuin Machae into Spanish for children in the village. The translation was funny if the story wasn't so much.

Great photos.
 
I really enjoyed this tour Jim! That country is hilly. Thanks for sharing these. I'm looking forward to the second part!
 
I love all the pictures! I sure pray you enjoy your day bowling.

Happy Belated Christmas to you and Mrs. Jim.

I also want to wish you all a Happy and Blessed New Year. My baby girl comes in tomorrow so I'll be a bit busy next week with her and my Navy son Aaron. They both go back on January 3rd, 08. If you could say a little pray for mom I would be grateful.

Lori
 
Good trip pics Jim. Like I'd been there.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?