Tuesday, January 03, 2012

1940 Mercury — MidWeek Blues —

.
I don't know if you remember this one or not. I had never seen one until this fall. It is a 1940 Mercury Four-door Convertible. I think it is not a Phantom convertible model although it might be if they made one.
This car belongs to a member of our Montgomery Early Ford V8 Club. Two other members own 1940 Mercury convertibles but just the two-door club coupe model.
The hubcaps to this car are still in the member's shop. He is not satisfied with the painting of the word Mercury on the outside. Oh yes, we did get to hear the car run but none of us was allowed to drive it.



The car below is a more 'modern' Mercury. It is a member's 1951 Four-door and is mostly all original. It was found in Oklahoma and has not been restored like the 1940.
Mercury's, made by Ford, were discontinued in early 2011. Although the 1950's models were different than the Fords, by the 1970 and on they were very similar and shared the same body moldings. Sales were down a lot on these cars.
Also remember that Ford did not receive a government 'bailout' and did not file for bankruptcy either. Both General Motors and Chrysler got the bailouts but were forced to file bankruptcy by our U.S. as a condition of the government aid.

The above 1951 Mercury is now 62 years old. I had a nice 1950 Mercury two-door Jimmy Dean model while I was in the U.S. Army for five years in the late 50's. At present I have a 1950 Ford Custom Deluxe Tudor, black with a sun visor.

The 1040 Mercury is now 82 years old. I personally much prefer the club coupe or club coupe convertible model or the 1940 Fords. This one to me is an oddity although a pretty expensive one.

2001 Mercury Sable below. Notice it looks like the Ford Taurus.



- - - - -
If you want to post a MidWeek Blues picture, go get directions from Rebecca by clicking on the logo picture on the right. She has a Mr. Linky and good directions . Just do what I did.


I don't know how many knew of my terrible backache that I had starting after we got back at the first part of December. It was just terrible pain, especially when trying to lay down or get up or sit up from the laying position.

I'm glad that my back surgery is over. I came home last Thursday after spending a night in the St. Luke's Woodlands (a Houston suburb) Hospital. My terrible pain is gone but there is still a lingering backache. It gets better almost every day.

The surgery went well. It was the repair of a thoracic vertebrae which had a fresh partial compression fracture. I was required to stay awake so no general anesthesia, only locals. This was so that every now and then I could wiggle my feet on command. I have a small band aid now covering my incision.


Video: http://www.spine-health.com/​video/​kyphoplasty-osteoporosis-fractu​re-treatment-video
My doctor, Dr. Kenneth Palmer

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I love to go to car shows. Way cool cars back in the day. Not as safe as our cars now, but way cool to look at.

Have a terrific day Jim. :)
 
They are all beauties...oh those were the days!
 
I love these cars
they're great sculptures!!
and that is a lovely shade of blue

I'm so pleased that you're home and feeling better every day

Hope sends hugs
 
Glad to hear you are doing well!

That is a fine looking convertible!! I like Mercury's, prefer a Lincoln, but drive a Ford ;-)
 
Hi, Mr. Jim
I'm glad to learn that your back op went well.
The worst part must have been to be awake all the time during the surgery.
I don't think I could have coped with that.

Well all's well that ends well, and your report from the car exhibition was very interesting.
I usually go with Gunnar to a classic car or an Am car exhibition once a year. One gets to vote for the car one of ones favour. I seldom vote with the majority.
I like the cars to have more authenticity and less new chrome and leather.
Maybe because when I grew up in the early fifties (I'm a 49er actually), we drove around on the most spectacular picnics in my grandfather's 7 seater Dodge.
Old, worn leather, the real ram on the front, heaps of good food and old plaids to sit on.
All we 15 cousins would give a lot to trace up the old car and relieve those golden days of childhood.

It cannot be done, my rich and car enthusiastic cousin has tried everything.

The good memories will never die.
So I hope for yours.
 
It's so good to hear about your successful back surgery again, Dr Jim :)

The photos are so nice.
 
My daughter is into classic cars, even got a calendar with them one yr and used the photos for her hs locker.

So glad to hear that you're ok from your back surgery. Take care, bloggin' GEM.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?