Tuesday, December 02, 2014

To the Store -- Two Shoes Tuesday

 
 I went to the store
I went to the store, the streets were quiet
They'd closed the antique store, we missed the sale
Where have all the people gone, streets are bare
 
I went to the store, the shelves were full
Been quiet in here this week I was told
Got my baloney, cheese, and some rye bread 
 
A beef barbeque and a Coke to go
On the way home there wasn't much traffic 
Where are the folks?  My neighbors are gone too
 
Just don't buy the store right now, wait and see 
_ _ _ _ _

Photos and Poem Copyright, © 2014 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved
 
I am linked with Josie Two Shoes at her blog, Two Shoes Tuesday (link)
 
Josie said, the "writing themes to choose from are sacred and store."  I chose 'store'.

Note:  These pictures are from our town, where the post office is, Montgomery, Texas.

You can make the pictures larger by clicking on them.  Click again for larger still.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
I assume that many country towns in the US like those in Australia are slowly dying. We have become so mobile that we head to larger centres. There is a sadness in the quiet of abandonment and all we have left are the memories of what used to be. The trouble is Jim we remember too much!
 
New supermarkets with large parking lots have been built in the suburbs, and small shops in the neighborhood are closed down in Japan, too.
 
I'm going to stay at the BBQ place. I'm hungry and I'm sure I can find something wonderful to have.

Have a fabulous day. ☺
 
This town is even smaller than mine. Do you still have dirt roads or where those alleys? I love a small town. Mine is just the right size. :)
 
Sadly Jim, your story is true of so many small towns now, they close up business by business until there is nothing left. The little town I grew up in feels foreign to me now, nothing left of the bustling activity that once took place there. I loved your verses and the photos you chose to illustrate them. Thank you for joining us at Two Shoes Tuesday this week!
 
This is sad! I hate seeing small towns lose their magic!
I hope you and doing well!
 
We love small towns, Dr Jim :) They are so simple and sincere.
 
Hope your store is open :)
 
I grew up in a small town and now live in a city. Both have their good and bad. I am happy living in the city but glad I grew up in a small town.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?