Friday, August 17, 2018

Weekend Roundup -- 07-18(b) (for letter "G")

The 33rd issue of Weekend Roundup for this year...
The week's prompts:
(1) Starts with "G"; (2) A Favorite; and (3) Great


(1) Starts with "G":  "G" is for Garden.  Above is a nice Garden Salad that our daughter made for Granddaughter KP's pool party, four of us with KP swimming.  It was for main course with all the pretty vegatables and then burrata  cheese for protein and dairy.  Summer late afternoon had just set in. Perfect for swimming. 

Mrs. Jim's Garden is in our backyard.  At present she has one plant, a Basil plant.  We have used some leaves from it and have given more away.  It did get infected, in the picture at right you can see that the bottom stems now have no skin.  Some insect at them and left this mess.



I don't know what it is, if any reader can identify we would be happy..
[click on any picture for larger size viewing]
So if any reader can identify we would be happy.  I sprayed it good with "Captain Jack's Deadbug" and things got better.  The spray bottle says it "Kills bagworms, borers, beetles" and a host of other pesty folk in smaller print. 

We generally use it for spraying beetles and bagworms on our lemon tree.  Both plants are showing next to the right fence in this picture below.  The lemon tree is the only thing besides flowers that grow in the rest of 'our' backyard "Garden".  I did plant some potatoes in the front flower bed.  One plant survived a rabbit attack.


 :
(2) A Favorite:   This is Mrs. Jim and I standing in front of the Giant Octopus.  The Giant was one of the Characters in the Pirate aka King David Study during the kids VBS (Vacation Bible School) at our church.
(3) week's word, "Great":   Aren't these some Great Feet !!!

Intro:They are sooo great, I have been very happy with them for most of my life.  The unhappy time I wasn't was when the right foot broke down,  That was right during my younger daughter's wedding. I was supposed to walk her down the isle, how could I do that one crutches?  Easy, the doctor said that I could put shoes on and walk on them but only going down the isle with the daughter.

My toes:  Here on the left, the hammer toe effect came about after our friend ran over my foot with her car, the back right tire and wheel rolled onto it and stopped (when I screamed, she stopped).  So while the car was standing on my foot, I had to convince her to drive on forward OFF my foot. 

The right foot toes are webbed, the second with the middle toe.  The doctors would have cut them apart but my mother said not to.  My older daughter has these webbed toes as does her granddaughter.  The biggest problem is that because the second toe sits on the big toe, the nail area of the big toe because sore and inflamed unless I keep that part cut short.  The left foot toes are slightly webbed also

My arches are terribly flat.  That did not keep my out of the military service though.  Mostly my foot becomes tired easily.  While in college my right foot middle metatarsal broke after excessive marching as a part of my University of Nebraska Pershing Rifles (an ROTC military college fraternity) initiation hazing my second year of college.

Now with aging a buildup of cuticles grow under the nails, making them hard to trim.  Usually when that part becomes softened after a bath or shower.  That condition makes the cuticle a candidate for digging it out and throwing it in the trash.

My foot doctor wants to "rebuild" my foot but there's no way I will allow that unless it falls all the way apart or if I cannot walk on it.

Last of all is a beautiful foot contest or an ugly foot contest.  I generally with the latter but get an honorable mention for the beautiful foot.  If enough readers would ask, I might have another.  The first ones were sort of a bust (Link) ( "Foot" Link, my blog ).
- - - - - -   

                         The end, that's all for tonight.

The fine print: -  I am linked with Tom of "Backwoods Travel" (Link to Tom's Weekend Reviews) 
  - The pictures are all mine and rights are reserved to me under Copyright Law.
 - Click on any picture to make it "full screen" sized. Click on your "Back" button to get back here.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments:
...Jim, and here I thought that eating 'G'reen leafy vegetables was good for your memory! Maybe I should start to eat donuts again. You only need one plant to have a 'G'arden. "Captain Jack's Deadbug" sounds like a killer! Those eyes on the 'G'iant Octopus sure look scary. And here I thought that I had 'G'reat feet. Your right foot is just as messed up as mine! I had foot surgery by the BEST Doc in town, the results were underwhelming! Needless to say my career as foot model is is over. Thanks for limping over here, enjoy your week.
 
The salad looks great - lots of color indeed! I hope the basil plants keep growing the lovely basil leaves - fresh is much tastier than dried basil. The octopus, although only paintes on a wall, looks scary enough...your feet look just fine by me :)
 
Ah your poor feet Jim, Sorry t hear about the blite on the Basil bit hope that treatment works. Have a wonderful weekend.
 
Yum on the Garden salad. I hope your treatment works on the basil plants. I perked up when I read about Captain Jack's killing bag worms, but then I remembered I left my bag worm problem in Illinois with the new owners of my house. :) Have a wonderful weekend!
 
Oh no, I can't imagine having my foot run over. Yikes. Glad there was a solution for walking your daughter down the aisle. Nice shot in front of the Giant Octopus! Hope you have a grand weekend!
 
I don't garden so I've no idea of those pesky bugs that are making you crazy.

Yikes on your feet. They do take a beating over the years. My feet are okay, but hubby has issues. It's the way of things.

Have a fabulous weekend, Jim. My best to Mrs. Jim. ☺
 
Hi Jim, no clue from me either, what the bugs are. If I had to make a guess, I would think some kind of worm. I cannot imagine having my foot run over! I broke my big toe in 1997 and to this day, I still cannot bend it the way I used to. It took years for the pain in that toe to go away! The salad gets my vote for best/favorite photo this week. Look delicious!
Have a good week, Dawn
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?