Sunday, May 04, 2008

And they're off! Running the race set before them!



Derby Day # 134 at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky. One and a half miles.

Did your horse win the Kentucky Derby? I hope so, especially if you had a wager on him. And if he finished but didn't win at least he/she set the race set before him/her.

Are you running a good race? Do you run the race set before you?

Paul (??) had these words for his fellow Christians:
[large picture] [super sized]


1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

Hebrews 12:1-3 (NIV)

And in a race, only one gets the prize!

So then, in Paul's words about running the race to his fellow Christians at Corinth:


24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

1 Corinthians 9:24,25 (NIV)

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
I'm running, Jim!

I did not pay attention to the fact that the Kentucky Derby happened. I didn't watch any TV today either, or maybe I would have heard about it.
Oh well...
I didn't have a horse in the race, so I guess it doesn't matter to me who won.
I'm sure some folks won a great deal of money and some folks lost a great deal of money.

Have a nice weekend.
 
Comment replies brought forward from the previous post:

Jamie, I put up a big fuss over those memes, but I love it! The fuss and writing them. Just one problem, I often don't finish them, I get carried away on something. So I just quit halfway and 'publish.'
I am planning on tagging you.
And I do have a sports coat I bought myself that simulates duck tape. It is one inch plaid in three tone brown. Mrs. Jim disapproves of it. The best thing is that it only cost $1.50 at the resale shop.

Ray, Mrs. Jim does buy most of my clothes. And her taste is good, sometimes it clashes with my taste so we compromise.

Teach, aka Maryt, I like at least half, well, almost half, the clothes other people buy for me.
My total clothes budget is under $60 a year. Mrs. Jim can blow that double with one sports coat!
I take off five points a word for misspellings on most papers. The first time is half that in case writers (students) weren't paying attention when we went over the class rules.

Doug, I used to cut my own hair. I still could but it takes me over an hour. My time is pretty valuable.
That is a good thing to not buy clothes often. You can be shopping for better things at Home Depot or spending you time in the library.

Putz, welcome to the nonsense here. We have a lot in common, I'll take my snow here in Southeast Texas, once every twenty years. I missed it in 2003, we were in Nebraska.
Our sense of humor run has similar upbringings. One difference right away, I don't wear just any old thing, my kid, Mike, got after me for that, one time hearing from him and I learned!
..
And Jamie, I went to bed so early last night that I missed Saturday night Mass at your blog church. Adi too, she is a little pooped still from her surgery. But we couldn't sleep after waking up at 3:21 this morning and are headed over there right now.

You all come to her blog church,
http://jamiesmindlessblather.blogspot.com/
She will welcome you on your blog, probably not at the church.
Adi is the sergeant at arms there. Jamie has the more dignified title of Mascot for Adi but Adi keeps the foolishness ...
..
 
Hi Jim ~~ Catching up reading blogs
and you have been busy. I am not too interested in horse racing, but in the race of life - I do the best I can. Thanks for your comments, glad you enjoyed the blonde jokes - there are a few more of them coming. Take care, Very Best Wishes, Merle.
 
Hi Jim,Thank you for your kind words. its a worrying time every time we go for tests, Has it reared its ugly head again(cancer)but this time thrilled with the results.. I sincerely hope all your tests come back as good as mine. Take good care Jim, Jen .
 
Hi again Jim ~~ Thanks for your comments and also for wishing June a Happy B'day Glad you liked the blonde jokes. Hope you get good results turn out to be all good ones. Take care, Regards, Merle.
 
Jim - I didn't have a horse in the race and I even missed out on that winning Powerball ticket in Minnesota! But in spite of those two small set-backs... I am going to have a GREAT week anyway!!! ~ jb///
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?